Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spring Stash Bash Time.

If you are like me, over the winter you collect yarns and fibers at a much faster rate. Lets face it, this is the time that you want to be curled up by the fire, stitching to a good movie. However come spring, while you may have a pile of finished projects, you also have a swollen stash.

                                                         

Spring is a great time to look through your yarns and clean out the ones that are no longer going to be used. As we all know, there are many times you have gotten buyers remorse. Or worse yet, someone brings you a Ton of yarn, from their clean up, and you think you will use it. We yarnaholics are an optimistic bunch. Of course we will be able to make 5 sweaters, 15 scarves, a shawl and a dozen pair of socks that would be needed to use this offered bags of yarn. The question is though, while this may be true, will you do it before you find better yarn you want to make something else with?

As my husband and I are moving I have been contemplating my stash. I find that I was in denial about my own. I keep a basket beside our armchair that held all of my yarns (not fiber though). When I introduced the basket I did a stash busting project for a local yarn bombing event of making a 300 Foot Scarf. This reduced me to one basket of yarn, or so I thought. It seems in the bowels of my craft closet the little yarn balls were reproducing. While packing all my fabrics I found 3 garbage bags full of yarn. All yarn I would not use, I had been moving around with for years.


So this time they are not even being opened, and all going to a local charity. This cleanse was great for the spirit and my closet. I recommend that everyone take the time to look at your stash and go through it. What you do with the yarns may depend. You could make a stash bashing project like my scarf, though then you have to have the willpower not to buy yarn until the project is finished. Or you can pick out those less desirable (you know the ones) yarns and offer them to your local guild for trade, a charity, or other groups.

One great result of a smaller stash, you get to buy new yarn now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. As this is a family friendly site your comment will be reviewed to restrict foul language and adult topics. Once done, your comment will be posted as soon as possible.